Rock Hammer Hold

A private D&D Campaign for the LOD set in the Silver Marches of the Forgotten Realms.

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Marpenoth 12th - Onward to Fortress Graystone

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sam the DM
Admin

Number of posts : 953
Registration date : 2007-05-19

Character Sheet
Name: Almighty DM
Level: Infinite
Race/Class: Very

PostSubject: Marpenoth 12th - Onward to Fortress Graystone   Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:26 am

Fortress Graystone sits built into the side of a low peak of the Nether Mountains. The structure is well hidden from the eyes of the inhabitants of the Silver Marches, as was the intention of the builders. A massive stone staircase leading into the side of the mountain is the only entrance.

For the last day, thick forest has been giving way to the altitude. Now the mountains rise to a sudden wall of rocky peaks rising high above the trees. A rough gravel path winds its way along the base of the mountains, the first sign of a true trail that you have seen since your departure from Rock Hammer.

The first fight took place on the steps leading up to the fortress, four members of the Wicked Fang pack and a Stonewalker spirit. The heroes dealt with them and entered the gnoll’s new base of operations.

The next rooms were further evidence of the former inhabitants on Graystone. A Githzerai mind trap of three rooms and seemingly random teleports between them. The group did a good job of not being separated too much and quickly put down the gnolls.

Umberto found a secret door in the middle room that lead to a passageway. On one end was balcony overlook some fifty-feet above the front door. The other direction leads to an underground passageway with two trap doors. Above you can smell gnolls, and hear the sounds of battle. One person’s, not a gnoll, voice rises above the others as he barks out commands.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rockhammerhold.msnyou.com
Sam the DM
Admin

Number of posts : 953
Registration date : 2007-05-19

Character Sheet
Name: Almighty DM
Level: Infinite
Race/Class: Very

PostSubject: Re: Marpenoth 12th - Onward to Fortress Graystone   Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:02 pm

The party scouted around the training room and found the front door. Having an attack plan in place, the bulk of the group busted in from the front door while Grognak and Lozigee popped up a round later from the trap doors.

The Heroes got off to a great start, knocking most of the minions out of the way quickly. After the Warmaster fell, the Shadar-kai weaponmaster (the non-gnoll voice from before) quickly realized that he was overmatched and surrendered.

Kyrion parted with a good deal of information in exchange for his life and a weapon to defend himself with.

Kyrion was sent by Sarshan to train the gnolls in the use of Shadar-kai weapons. Sarshan was also responsible for convincing the gnolls to seize Fortress Graystone and to go on a kidnapping spree across the Silver Marches. It was also learned that Sarshan was the one responsible for provoking Thar Grim-Rule into attacking Temel.

The group also learned that the sword wielded by the gnoll warmaster is a unique weapon, craftd specifically for the Wicked Fang pack on Sarshan’s orders. According to Kyrion, Wicked Fang – so named in honor of Fangren’s pack – is said to carry a curse and have a history steeped in blood. Grognak carries the weapon now.

Last, Kyrion was able to point the group in the direction of the Ritual Chamber where Fangren was performed his dark acts.

As the heroes burst into the room, Fangren was already well into his ritual. The Wicked Fang leader and his minions got off to a great start but the heroes prevailed and eventually won out. Once the heroes closed the conduit the platinum sword spoke to them again, its voice even weaker, to perform the ritual needed to free her.

Once it was completed a vortex of brilliant energy burst in the room and left standing was a young human female of unearthly beauty and grace. Her silver hair hangs down her back. She is garbed in armor made of slendor, overlapping plates. In one hand she held a leather-bound tome and in the other, the platinum longsword.

“I am Amyria,” she says. “Who are you, and why am I here?”

The group filled her in on what has happened and then she had this to say:

“I remember that I am Amyria,” she says softly. “and I have lived many lives. I was in the sword. I remember you freed me. The ritual you performed transformed the planar breach in this place, allowing it to channel the energy of the Astral Sea. Energy necessary for my transformation.” She looks to you, eyes bright. “I have been reborn with purpose, even if that purpose is yet unclear to me.”

Amyria gives the book to the party, it contains the Seal Portal Ritual.

The party also found a note on Fangren’s body, from Sarshan:

Quote :
Fangren,

I cannot stress the importance of holding Fortress Graystone. Among the assignments I have given you, this should be your top priority. I have armed you well enough that you should be able to repel all invaders.

Do what you will with your prisoners, but continue taking them. Focus your efforts of those who seem to be of some importance, do not waste your time with farmers and commoners.

I am sending someone to train your recruits in the use of our weapons at your request. However, I expect you to leave this one along. The witch I sent to you was one of my personal advisors and now she is ruined. Do not treat my people so callously as you do your own.

- Sarshan.

As the party was heading out they were greeted by a familiar face. Gilathorn, the elf came to kill them. The heroes fought bravely and granted the assassin quarters. Thorn thanked them and informed them that Sarshan was the one behind the bounty on their heads.

As the party left Fortress Graystone Amyria informed them that she desired to go to Overlook as something compels her to be there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rockhammerhold.msnyou.com

Marpenoth 12th - Onward to Fortress Graystone
Page 1 of 1